Wednesday, August 25, 2010

When Hamburgers Fall From the Sky

I can't believe it's been almost a month since my last post! Shameful! August has been so busy though. A round of visitors, a beach trip, more visitors, the start of the school year. Not to mention my own general laziness and malaise. This was one seriously hot bitch of a month. I haven't been cooking so much as preparing food. Because we have to eat.

So now I'm back, and I'll have to take baby steps to get into this thing properly again. This afternoon it's (finally!) cool so I'll turn the oven on and make roast chicken. With CSA corn on the cob and potatoes. If I get motivated I'll prepare the edamame that's in the back of my fridge: it needs to be shelled and boiled for a bit in salted water. For some reason, eating edamame seems like a slightly pretentious thing to do. I guess because I live in a town where people say things like: "Little Rainbow just loves edamame. He brings it to preschool along with his organic applesauce and veggie crisps." You know. But I like it anyway.

I'll leave with one thought, with hopes to be back tomorrow. The other night the kids and husband and I were sitting at dinner, eating tilapia, and the kids were eating very slowly. Because this is what they do when they don't love the meal we're having.  It was really frustrating me, and I kept asking them to please just hurry up and eat! Then it dawned on me: I think the kids actually believe that if they stall at meal times, if they wait long enough, that maybe a McDonald's happy meal will fall from the sky and onto their plate. Nice thinking kids, but it ain't gonna happen. Not on my watch.

3 comments:

  1. Keep it up, I enjoy your stories....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey did they see "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs"? Dave worked on it and I think hamburgers are a genetic kinda thing/////

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks bebe! The kids loved Cloudy With a Chance. But maybe it gave them some ideas....

    ReplyDelete