Monday, October 18, 2010

Autumn

Wow, no posts for awhile! Did you ever just get so bored of yourself you just couldn't stand it? I guess that's what's been happening with me.

Fall is here. In western NC, fall is pretty amazing. You're just driving along, and suddenly become overwhelmed by the beauty of a red-leafed maple. It's downright dangerous. School is in full swing, the nights are cool, you can wear a sweater, and pumpkins!  I have to talk myself into fall, because I love summer so much. But these are the things that make it bearable, and kind of wonderful.

I haven't been cooking too much, but I have been making a lot of soup. Our CSA ended a couple of weeks ago. Before it did, we received lots of winter squash: mostly delicata and butternut. Squash soup is the simplest and most delicious thing since tomato sandwiches (remember those....?) Really simple: roast your squash, slice and then boil up some apples, saute onions, mix it all together in a pot with some stock or just water. Then puree in a blender, add a little milk or cream, and that's it.  You can add a bit of brown sugar, salt and pepper. Or go wild with ginger and cinnamon.

Beautiful, simple soup. And it matches the trees.

1 comment:

  1. I just knew that if I kept checking, there'd be something up here! Yay for keeping it going. Got any other good fall recipes? Apple-related? Sweet potato related? Fall greens related? Candy corn related? (That's a food, right?)

    ReplyDelete